Friday, August 19, 2011

Au or Al?


Everyone has one. That person, or group of people, who makes you feel completely inadequate.

Someone who is gold. They walk into the room, and they shine so brilliantly, so beautifully, they capture everyone's attention and imagination. Everyone wants to be near them. They are the bling.

And they remind you that you are aluminum. You are the pipes that bring the water so they can clean up and shine even brighter. You are the can that brings the soda that refreshes them.

Us lesser metals stand no chance standing next to them. They fill up the room when they enter, whether it's a broom closet or an auditorium.

But, the thing about us lesser metals? We are the support systems that provide the nourishment they need. We are flexible, so we can bend to fit the situation. We are lightweight, so we don't need huge support systems to keep us elevated. We are ubiquitous, and we are innocuous. So we are everywhere, even though you may not notice us.

I tend to think that makes us the greater metal.

~xxx~


5 comments:

  1. To me, you're a beautiful gold charm on a sturdy aluminum chain. The best of both worlds. I think you shine and are strong all at once. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautifully written, but as a friend once told me I thought she was gold and I was aluminum, but she thought I was gold and she was aluminum. I think a lot of us think we are only aluminum, without realizing that with a good shine and the right lighting, we're all gold as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we be iron covered in gold-leaf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all take turns being gold and aluminum. Even if we can't see our own sparkle sometimes.

    ~xxx~

    ReplyDelete