Friday, September 9, 2011

You're Not Afraid of Snakes, Are You?

Ophidiophobia:  abnormal fear of snakes


Look at him. Isn't he cute? He's even smiling. He's happy you stopped by.


I have a confession to make. I don't like snakes very much. Is it a phobia? Not so much. More like an aversion. I grew up way out in the country, so seeing rattlers curled up and sleeping, or slithering away, wasn't uncommon. I have a healthy respect for the critters. But to cuddle up with a boa? I'm not so sure about that. 


So what on earth would possess me to write a story about a were-boa constrictor?


It started on a whim. Just me thinking "No one writes wereboas. Why not?" That led to "What would he be like? What would he think of all this wolf worship going on?" And I figured out that he'd be kind of like me. Self-depreciating, sarcastic, and trying to take everything in stride. After all, he's a wereboa! Who would even think of such a thing?


Oh.


~xxx~

3 comments: