Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thirsty Thursday: Shake It Up



I know all these Thirsty Thursday posts could give you the impression that I always have a cock...tail in my hand. That I'm a lush, that I have a problem and may just need an intervention.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I really don't. Seriously, when I do drink, I tend to drink heavily. But, I'm perfectly content to go months without having a drop of alcohol. I do enjoy the spirits, but they are not a part of my every day life, and I try to indulge safely when I do. I usually do my heavy drinking at home - saves money and public embarrassment. 

At restaurants, I'll order the first drink. The second is on the waitperson - if they ask, why, yes, I will have another, thanks for asking. If not, I'll just have the one and be content. 

This is all just an aside to get to the real point of this post: Shake It Up. 

Want another secret? I'm a closet health food freak. 

I have no bread in my house, no pasta, no deserts, no packaged food stuffs. I'm not going gluten free or anything like that. My thing is what I like to call "closest to the source." I eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole cuts of meat, and a lot of nuts. I like to recognize what's on my plate for what it once was, and I like to know exactly what I'm eating. 

That's not to say I don't love all the other stuff. I could eat Texican/Tex-Mex/Mexican food all year long. And pasta? Dayum. Gimme. 

Alas, that doesn't help me reach my ultimate goal. (Yes, weight loss, looking better, feeling better, and more energy is part of that, but my Ultimate Goal? Stay medication free for as long as possible. That's it. I just want to stay off any maintenance medication for as long as I can.)


 So, it's salads, steamed broccoli, and grilled turkey for me. 

And protein shakes. Yes, those 'delicious' liquid creations to help save muscles after a work out. So, let's shake up this Thirsty Thursday, why don't we?
Try it. You'll like it. ;)


Almond Joy Protein Shake

1 cup Coconut Almond milk 
2 scoops Cookies and Cream Protein powder 
             

**Mornings, I add 1/2 cup Oats to it and blend the heck out of it.

 (I use Intek Isolate. Its Cookies & Cream is more chocolaty,
 and the cream makes it smoother.
Isopure is also good, but its Cookies & Cream is more cream than chocolate)
You can use a shaker (do yourself a favor and get one with a wire whisk ball in it. Trust me.), or your blender. If you're adding the oats, definitely use the blender. Big flakes of oats in your drink is just nasty.

Till next time, live long and prosper. And maybe get off the couch for a while. You'll feel better for it.

~xxx~

No comments:

Post a Comment