Saturday, January 8, 2011

I'm Finally an Author!

Well, I still consider myself more of a writer than an author. But, for Goodread's purposes, I'm now an author.  Sure, it's for a free short story I wrote for the fun of it, BUT, it's one writing credit more than I had yesterday, and one step closer to my goals. 

So, how did this happen? In December, the utterly fantastic Goodreads M/M Romance Group ran a "25 Days of Xmas....M/M Style" event encouraging readers to write letters to Santa requesting one of our members stuff their stocking by writing a story to go along with the photo the member chose. I answered a letter, wrote a story, and stuffed a stocking.

The wonderful moderators and readers took these stories and compiled them into an ebook and made it available for downloading. Voila! Now, I'm an author!

Even if it would have just remained a thread on a website, destined to be long forgotten, I'm glad I had the opportunity to participate. The entire process was worth it. Creating the characters, getting them to tell me their story, and even the thoroughly terrifying (at least for a reclusive introvert like me, anyway) act of actually releasing the story into the wild, wild web and opening myself up for criticism helped me grow.  If I get the chance, I will do it again in a heartbeat.

And, the boys in my story will be showing up in my Were Menagerie.

Now to fulfill the dream, if I can just finish my darn book! Sooooo close, yet so far.

~xxx~

No comments:

Post a Comment